Murphy's Rules of Combat
(A comprehensive list obtained from various sources)
- If the enemy is in range, so are you.
- If you can see the enemy, they can see you.
- Incoming fire has the right of way.
- Friendly fire isn't.
- The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming
- Don't look conspicuous: it draws fire. This is why aircraft carriers are
called bomb magnets.
- There is always a way.
- The easy way is always mined.
- Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.
- Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous.
- The enemy only attacks on one of two occasions: When you're ready for
them, and when you're not ready for them.
- Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
- If you can't remember, the claymore is pointed at you.
- If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.
- The enemy diversion you have been ignoring will be the main attack.
- Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you.
- When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid.
- When in doubt empty the magazine.
- Never share a fox hole with anyone braver than you.
- Anything you do can get you shot. Including doing nothing.
- Make it too tough for the enemy to get in and you can't get out.
- Mines are equal opportunity weapons.
- A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a
plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
- Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last and don't ever volunteer
to do anything.
- The quartermaster has only two sizes: too large and too small.
- Five second fuses only last three seconds.
- It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just
- A "sucking chest wound" is nature's way of telling you to slow down.
- If you're short of everything but the enemy, you're in a combat zone.
- When you have secured an area, don't forget to tell the enemy.
- Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.
- You are not a superman.
- No plan survives the first contact intact.
- If you are forward of your position the artillery will always fall
- The important things are always simple.
- The simple things are always hard.
- No combat ready unit ever passed inspection.
- Beer math: two beers times 37 men equal 49 cases.
- Body count math: two guerillas plus one portable plus two pigs equals 37
- Things that must be together to work usually can't be shipped together.
- Radios will fail as soon as you desperately need fire support.
- Tracers work both ways.
- If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you will have more
than your fair share of objectives to take.
- When both sides are convinced that they are about to lose, they are both
- If it moves, shoot it.
- If it doesn't move, poke it with your gun barrel and then shoot it.
- Overkill works.
- Murphy was a grunt.
Page views since 03/07/2004
Web site and
contents Copyright © RCW Enterprises. All rights reserved.
All HeavyMetal programs are developed by Rick Raisley of RCW Enterprises,
and Copyrighted © by RCW Enterprises. All rights reserved.
BattleTech, BattleMech, 'Mech, AeroTech, MechWarrior and
BattleForce are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of The
Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Used under license.
Site designed and maintained by RCW Enterprises. Report any
problems or suggestions to the